New Orleans Wedding Inspiration - Felicity Church
The story of Felicity Church is simply amazing: The land on which Felicity Church sits was deeded to the Methodist church in 1849. The first church at this location was dedicated on Christmas Day in 1850, and known as the Steele Chapel. It was designed by architect Thomas K. Wharton who worked with James Gallier, Sr. in New Orleans and later on the US Customs House in New Orleans.
Later named the Felicity Street Methodist Church, it burned on April 17th, 1887 due to a fire started by a candle dropped by an organ repairman named Shippler.
The congregation enlisted the architects William C. Williams and Samuel Patton to design the current Gothic Revival building, which was rebuilt and opened in 1888. At one time it was the largest Methodist Church in New Orleans and was one of the first churches in the city to have electricity. The church was described at its dedication in 1888 as “one of the finest edifices in the city in the Daily Picayune.”
Its new, massive steeple stood until it was toppled—like many church steeples around the city—in The Great Hurricane of 1915. Alterations and repairs were designed by Sam Stone Jr., architect of the Maison Blanche building. Felicity’s exterior remains largely unchanged since those repairs.
With hard work and love, Felicity has survived each of her trials. She is rejuvenated by each smiling couple that passes through her doors.
Thank you to all participating vendors!
Event Design: Merry Memories Event Planning
Photographer: Bri Photography
Venue: Felicity Church
Floral Design: Hummingbird Floral Studio
Smilax: Nature Fly
Invitations: Invito Bella
Calligraphy: Nib & Flow
Candles: Truly Haute
Luxury Rentals: Distressed Rentals
Jewelry: Brilliance in Diamonds